Wednesday, March 21, 2012

What's in a name? How Roadie came about.

I've had a few names in my short life.  I came out of the shelter known as "Shadow", earned by my talent of not letting my human out of my sight.  Yes, I have this habit of following you everywhere.  Hence, Shadow was born.

Then I went off to one of my first of many foster homes.  Here I lost my name "Shadow" and became known as "Bug"....  Yes, "Bug".... A cute name but it doesn't exactly roll off one's tongue.  "Bug" led to many nicknames, but my pack walker Al would call out "Bug-A-Boo" to get me to come running back at Fort Funston.

When I met the people who would later become my forever adoptive family, they tried out a couple variations of my name.  You see, they let me stay over for a long weekend when my foster mom had to travel for July 4th.  "Booger" caught my attention with a cute head tilt but it didn't stick cause they just couldn't call me "Booger" especially if I was in trouble.

Fast forward thru a few months of "Bug-A-Boo" being called out thru the dunes of Fort Funston to when my adoption was finalized.  Mom and Dad wasn't feeling my name of "Bug", so the adventure of finding a new name began.

Candidates for names ranged from "Marshall", "Fender" and "Strat" but those just didn't click.  Then Mom and Dad tried "Roadie".  And I looked at them, like "yes, you called?"

Now you may have noticed a trend with the names, all kind of music related.  Both my parents work in the entertainment industry.  Dad is an audio engineer and musician.  Mom is a lighting designer and artist.  And what they needed was a roadie to be a part of their team.  A dog that could deal with the schedule changes that happen in the business, the travel, and the "organic/flexible" routine.  I was that dog.  I could be their "Roadie".  So with the adoption finalized, I proved to them over the course of a few months that I was roadie material.  I stayed up late, slept in whenever I could (we don't do morning walks anymore because I am the last one out of bed), I showed that I was a great car passenger and I rolled with the flow.  From then on I would be known as Roadie, full name Roadie - Rock Puppy.

2 comments:

  1. and if I could just say - Roadie you are a Rock STAR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow I knew this story even though it was never fully disclosed to me. Roadie, you just *are* Roadie. The name fits you perfectly. Love seeing you help with the sound and lights setup in the photo, Buddy.

    P.S. If I ever get 3 males at one time, I might be stealing Fender, Marshall, and Strat. Those are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete